11.01.2008

livin' it up at the hotel california.

I have to say, I'm missing the LA sunshine. But, the beautiful colors of fall have warmly welcomed me back home. Except for Aaron, I haven't had a chance to really share stories from the trip yet. We had such a great week- not only did we have a blast, we learned a lot at the same time - I returned inspired! But, also worn out. Us genetic counselors are little busy-bees, potentially conferencing can go from 7 am to 10 pm at night. There's a personality-type in this profession that on one hand, gets-things-done, but also unfortunately doesn't ever slow down. I like to think I'm learning to teeter there at the fulcrum between accomplishment and down time. a balanced life. LA was a fun place to visit, I couldn't imagine living there though. It really is as different as you think it would be. Many of the people we encountered were very unfriendly and unaccomodating, not to mention blatantly superficial. They don't 'smile-back' and give you a strange look when you 'make casual conversation'. Could have been our locale, I'll admit, we were pretty much around Beverly Hills. That said, I would still really like to go back just to sight see - there was a lot we didn't get a chance to visit. & it was such a fun city to visit with three lovely friends. We did manage to sneak away with little breaks during the conference to see some of the sights...
During our first break, we taxied over to Hollywood and checked out Mann's Chinese Theatre, a classic spot for old-hollywood movie premiere's - still in use today.

We also saw the Kodak Theatre, where they host the Oscars.
I spotted my first 'celebrity' within 2 minutes, imagine my excitement! {those who didn't know me in 2003 will need some schooling in my now tamed obsession}.
These look-alikes saunter around on Hollywood Boulevard. I assume they have more than this day-job?
What would a trip to sunny CA be without a trip to In-and-Out burger?
Quite yummy. and the most affordable thing about our trip.
We strolled down the Hollywood Walk of Fame... finally finding the one I was hoping to see.
{Johnny Depp - in case you can't tell...}
You have to have the classic Hollywood sign photo, right? Who decided to put those up there? ...I think I remember that it originally said Hollywoodland. I wonder how large they are... I bet wikipedia has all of my answers.
We're standing on the crosswalk by the Kodak Theatre where you always see the E! reporters {facing the other direction} reporting "from the red carpet". It was here that we saw our first celebrity. And we definitely hit the "A"-list, let me tell you. :) We spotted Hulk Hogan here, Judge Judy on Rodeo Drive, Danny and Christopher Masterson {Hyde, from that 70s show and his brother from Malcom and the Middle} in front of us at airport security, and T.R. Knight {George from Grey's Anatomy} running to catch his plane.
...and, yes, we drove by 'The Ivy", but didn't spot anyone dining outside by the little white picket fences. We spotted several of the little hangouts and other places they frequent on the Hills. I really shouldn't know that. Oh well, it was kinda neat.
We managed to eat very well in LA. Here's the scene from my favorite meal at Rock Sugar, a pan-Asian fusion restaurant. I loved how everything was really ‘lounge-y’ when we went out at night, there were fire-pits and banquettes and low lighting...instead of a loud, smoky bar. I could definitely do more of this.
Another lounge-y scene - we definiely enjoyed the outside space of our hotel. so cute & cozy. When we have a backyard, firepit is going on the list right under charcoal grill.
View from our hotel room...
Oh yes, remember - we went for a conference?
We did actually work while we were there.
I presented a poster on some research some colleagues and I have been working on. Excitingly, I managed to meet another genetic counselor with a similar case in her practice, and we may be looking to collaborate on a paper.
Just to prove it. here's where we spent many a' hours.
Ok, let's get back to the fun pictures now.
We taxied over Sunday to check out festivities at the Santa Monica Pier. checking out the Pacific Ocean - grabbing some lunch - and windows shopping down the Third Street Promenade.
Paying hommage to our NSGC photo-on-the-bed tradition.
We ran around like it was a girls dormitory, getting all spiffy for our reunion night with fellow OK'ans.
view from our 'dorm'.
Some awesome GCs from the Class of 2007, 2008, 2009, and our director.
One night we ended up going out to a new hotspot called the “pink taco’’. The euphemism was lost on me, but when I told Aaron – he was like “You ate where?!” It didn't stop us from going back again for delicious fresh squeezed lime-pineapple margaritas.
Us chicas on a stroll down Rodeo Drive...
After stashing our BVLGARI, Harry Winston, and Chanel shopping bags, we could only afford the Beverly Hills Diner.
Yet another perk of traveling on business... happening upon the cities of your ol' pals! Candice came and took me out on my last night in L.A. Always great to catch up and hang out with a dear friend! Done.
Wiped out.
...and killing time poolside before our flights home.
Flyin' out of the pacific time zone. ...a few (term used loosely) more photos here.
...To my roomies, you were an absolute blast to travel with. You are some of the sweetest, sincerest, crack-me-up bunch of ladies I know. I do hope this tradition continues.
Pittsburg, PA '09!

1 comments:

Trae D said...

"spelling out the name of the area in 50 feet (15 m)[1] high white letters... It was created as an advertisement in 1923, but garnered increasing recognition after its initial purpose had been fulfilled.but has since undergone restoration, including a security system to deter vandalism...The sign is protected and promoted by the Hollywood Sign Trust, a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to physically maintain, repair and secure the sign...The sign originally read "HOLLYWOODLAND", and its purpose was to advertise a new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles...The sign company owner, Thomas Fisk Goff (1890–1984) designed the sign. Each letter of the sign was 30 ft (9 m) wide and 50 ft (15 m) high, and was studded with some 4000 light bulbs.

you were right...about hollywoodland AND wikipedia

sounds like you had fun, I cna't wait to hear stories.

i want to know what you thought of The TenList. I hope you are telling everyone about it!