8.12.2008

arts + crafts hour.

Ok, I've been promising this post to a few of you for a while now. [and some of you have yet to receive your little homemade magnet bundle... don't worry, it's on its way. ok, not literally, but soon.] Secondly, I can't take credit for this delightful little craft. I'm a third generation magnet-er, but thanks to Kara for passing along her creativity. They're so fun to make & so fun to share....

First off, here is your 'cast of characters': Scissors, exacto knife [optional], round small magnets and E6000 industrial strength glue [both found @ your local Michael's], and plant pebbles... very specifically, they have to be the clear kind. most of the ones you'll find will be pearly or sparkly - those won't do. These clear ones can be found in these big bags at Target. You don't have to use the larger ones like I have, you can try the smaller pebbles also...they turn out cute too. And if your feeling really bold, you can make little rings or necklaces out of the little ones. But, hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

What woman doesn't have piles of magazines lying around? Nothing is off limits, so don't leave out your Fox and Hound. Every magazine has unique patterns. Collect all your favorites or request new ones from stores online...Then, get busy. Just flip through and cut out any pattern, shape, picture, letter that catches your eye. [sometimes I have a little pebble there with me to just try it out over different images...obviously, my imagination doesn't like to work very hard.]
So, now we have our scraps. Take a little dollop of the glue and squeeze it on the flat side of the plant bead...Then, press it where you want it on your image. If I'm doing 20 or so magnets, I usually do each step all at once. At this point, leave your little project alone for a while... overnight works well. 2 hours would do I suppose. Otherwise, the pebble will slide around and you won't keep the same image you framed out.
Now, cut off the excess. you can always trim it up later [it doesn't have to be perfect...but I have been pining for the 1"-circle cutter in the Michael's scrapbook section]. Don't worry about using too much glue, because it cuts right off. Use too little, though, and it doesn't look great because the paper can bend away from the plant pebble.
Do a dollop. of more glue on the magnet this time.
Let sit to dry for a while... And, voila! I mean, c'mon, how cute are these?
They wrap up as great little gifts in little magnetic tins [think Altoid box size]...
I've seen similar magnets on sale at stores for quite a bit of $$ considering how easy & inexpensive they are to make. I think we're onto something here.
well, maybe if I had that circle cutter...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

:) cutest idea ever!! i am definitely going to make some and i'll send you photos.

keep this in mind for our future store. you could totally sell them there! i've also started making my own tissue boxes and trash cans (ok just one each for my sister...) but they're quite nice. here's the link to my inspiration http://www.lapetiteplayhouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=381. mine are almost exactly the same and use all those cool wood pieces at Michaels!

jae lindsay + aaron said...

that's so cute!
how do you make it?
I'm not creative enough to look at something and figure it out...
Look at us, we're already starting our inventory. Let's work on our 'name'.
Please tell me how I can have an adorable tissue box for my bathroom!

Unknown said...

j-

what are the colors of your bathroom? i'll make you one and send it along with instructions because it's easier to do when you see the finished product. it's simple because the wood pieces are already assembled. you just paint, attach the letter (pre-painted by you), make your bow (mine have bows), attach that to the tissue box after you spray with a finshing varnish to "waterproof" it. it's super simple. i add extras like polka dots and outline the letter with a puffier paint to add some diminsion.

The Lees said...

Cute idea! I love them!

Kaitlin said...

One of my friends made hundreds of these for us for Christmas last year! She would also print out our monograms and use that for a design. Also, I think E6oo is the best glue in the world. I was really crafty in college, but had to put that on hold with the move and new job. I think it is time to bring my craftiness back!

m. said...

omg, we're SO the same person. I've made these for a few years. they're fun with celebrity faces too--very dorm chic ;) ...although while we're on it, I really think I need to remove ms. lohan from my fridge. she's gone waaay downhill.